BARLEY LEGAL 3 PRELIMINARY RESULTS
Preliminary results may be found here.
BARLEY LEGAL 3 OVERALL RESULTS
Barley Legal 3 wishes to thank over 30 judges, 9 stewards, 12 staff members, 3 volunteers, and 45 sponsors for the incredible efforts that went into judging and the competition. We'd also like to thank the over 90 brewers who contributed nearly 300 entries. After a marathon 12 hours of judging, we are proud to announce the following overall winners:
Best in Show (Overall)
First Place in Ciders/Perry
28D. Other Speciality Cider
Sweet cider made with turbinado sugar
Second Place (Overall)
First Place in Stouts (Category 13)
13B. Sweet Stout
Third Place (Overall)
First Place in English Pale Ale (Category 8)
8A. Ordinary Bitter
"JT III Ordinary Bitter"
Fourth Place (Overall)
First Place in English Brown Ale (Category 11)
Fifth Place (Overall)
First Place in Meads (Categories 24-26)
26. Other Mead
"Chocolate Raspberry Pyment aged 5 years"
Results for the remaining categories will be posted on or around Sunday, March 31, 2013. Scoresheets (over 1200) for all entries are in the process of being scanned, and will be e-mailed to all paid entrants. Prizes are continuing to come in from our sponsors, and will be send out on or around April 6, 2013.
Judges, Stewards, Staff, and Volunteers should see an e-mail within the week indicating that points have been recorded for their participation. Points will be included in the next refresh of the BJCP database.
Thanks everyone for your participation and for making Barley Legal 3 such a success!
WE'RE BACK! - BARLEY LEGAL 3!
The Wootown Brewers and BaltiBrew are proud to announce the return of Barley Legal in 2013!
Barley Legal 3 is a BJCP-sanctioned homebrew competition. It is open to homebrewers worldwide.
Barley Legal 3 accepts all styles of beer, cider, and mead as recognized by the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines.
♥ Saturday, March 2, 2013: Entry registration opens. Drop-off locations available.
♥ Saturday, March 16, 2013: Entry registration closes. Final entry deadline.
♥ Saturday, March 23, 2013: Competition judging
♥ Sunday, March 24, 2013: Results announced
♥ Sunday, March 31, 2013: Scoresheets available
♥ Saturday, April 6, 2013: Prizes mailed out
Barley Legal requires that all entries to the competition meet the following requirements:
- This is a 3 bottle competition. All beers entered into the competition require 3 bottles. The first bottle will be used for the first round of judging. If you make it to best of show, the second bottle will be used then. If there is an error in cataloging or categorizing the beers, the third bottle serves as a reference bottle.
- All entries must be entered in a bottle. No cans, growlers, or other vessels are acceptable. Flip-top and swing-top bottles are allowed.
- All bottles must be between 10-22 ounces in volume for beer, and up to 750ml in volume for cider or mead.
- Raised lettering is OK.
- No commercial beers are allowed.
- All entries must adhere to the BJCP 2008 style guidelines.
- All entries must be entered under the names of all brewers who participated.
- Entries made in commercially-licensed facilities are ineligible.
- All entries must include a Bottle Identification Form downloaded from the BJCP web site. If you fail to provide one, the refunding of your entrance fee is at our discretion. Please make this easier on us :-)
- All entries for the Specialty Category must include the brewer's notes, including base style, or other applicable notes. Tell us what we're supposed to be tasting.
- The entry fee for each beer is $6 for the first beer, and $5 for each additional beer. Special exceptions may be made. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The entry fee for members of the Wootown Brewers or BaltiBrew is $5 for the first beer, and $5 for each additional beer. Membership has its privileges.
- The entry fee may be paid online, or it may be paid by attaching a check or money order (made payable to "The Wootown Brewers") to one of the bottles.
DROP-OFF LOCATIONS (AS OF March 3, 2013)
The list of drop-off locations has been updated with one more location on the way in Northern Virginia.
♥ Anne Arundel Co.: Lure's Bar and Grille, 1397 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032
♥ Baltimore City (North): Nepenthe Homebrew, 3600 Clipper Mill Road Suite 130A, Baltimore, MD 21211
♥ Baltimore City (Southwest): Heavy Seas Beer/Clipper City, 4615 Hollins Ferry Rd, Halethorpe, MD
♥ Baltimore County (North and East): The Thirsty Brewer, 13522 Long Green Pike, Baldwin, MD
♥ Baltimore County (South and West): Heavy Seas Beer/Clipper City, 4615 Hollins Ferry Rd, Halethorpe, MD
♥ Calvert Co.: Lure's Bar and Grille, 1397 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032
♥ Carroll County: The Flying Barrel, 1781 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
♥ Eastern Shore Counties: Lure's Bar and Grille, 1397 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032
♥ Harford/Cecil Counties: The Thirsty Brewer, 13522 Long Green Pike, Baldwin, MD
♥ Howard County: Maryland Homebrew, 6770 Oak Hall Ln #108, Columbia, MD 21045
♥ Frederick County: The Flying Barrel, 1781 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
♥ Prince George's County: Lure's Bar and Grille, 1397 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD 21032
♥ Western Maryland Counties: The Flying Barrel, 1781 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
♥ Pennsylvania (Eastern): Keystone Homebrew Supply, 435 Doylestown Rd, Montgomeryville, PA
♥ Pennsylvania (Central): Scotzin Bros Homebrew, 65 C North Fifth Street, Lemoyne PA 17043
District of Columbia
♥ District of Columbia: 3 Stars Brewing Co, 6400 Chillum Place NW, Washington, DC 20011
♥ Virginia (Northern): (Waiting on confirmation)
♥ Delaware: Iron Hill Brewery and Restaurant, 620 Justison St, Wilmington, DE
♥ New Jersey (Western): Keystone Homebrew Supply, 435 Doylestown Rd, Montgomeryville, PA
As always, we will also accept entries that are mailed. Mailing address is Barley Legal, 1402 Phoenix Rd, Phoenix, MD 21131.
Awards will be given for first, second, and third place for each category (to be determined based on the numbers of entries in each style, etc.).
Competition organizers are currently in the process of soliciting local, regional, national, and international organizations for prizes.
Providing there are enough prizes/donations, we also plan to hold a raffle for judges during the judging session.
For all information related to entries, including entry registration, visit the Entry Registration page.
VOLUNTEERING: JUDGES, STEWARDS, VOLUNTEERS
For all information related to judging, stewarding, or volunteering, visit the Volunteer page.
For all information related to our sponsors, including becoming a sponsor, visit the Sponsors page or the Sponsoring page.
For all information related to downloads, visit the Downloads page.
Results from Barley Legal 3 will be posted to this web site on Sunday, March 24, 2013.
Results from Barley Legal 2 may be found here.
CALL TO ACTION
Get those brewpots brewing ASAP!